Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Instagram Ads

When Instagram first began allowing advertisements on its users' home feeds, it caused me to pause and stare at the photo wondering how I knew the person in the picture. I mean I had to know them if I was following their account. Didn't I? I searched my memory for the place of this strange face, so when I finally felt stumped, I scrolled up to see the username and realized that I didn't know the person at all. A company put that nameless face on my screen.
Sure, the advertisement got me to pause, but it also had other repercussions. I didn't appreciate the feeling that I forgot someone from my past, so I went through and unfollowed all the people I only vaguely knew. That way if in the future I struggled to remember a person on my home feed, I would know it was an advertisement and could just scroll through faster. I became more selective, to cut people out and decide who I didn't really care about, in order to avoid promotions and advertisements.
I don't speak for all users, but allowing advertisements on a user's home feed changed the way I view and use Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And the verdict (or rather swimsuit) is in!

Famous for the red swimsuit that took Instagram by storm last spring, Sunny Co. Clothing is still making good on the promotion it promi...